Thursday, September 20, 2007

A Clinic Story - that sucked!

This guy comes in and he tells me he has a problem with "singaw." I take a look and see one small oral ulcer on the inside of his lower lip. I then disregarded one of the lessons I learned in medicine: "Don't overthink." I asked about sexual history. Yup, he did have sex with a you-know-what. I then asked him if he developed a painless lesion in his thingy. Yes he did. I then informed him that he may have syphilis and that we needed to do a blood test (RPR) to confirm. I then made out a lab request and sent him on his way with the instruction of seeing me when he got the results back.

I was a bit proud of myself. I was finally developing the vaunted CLINICAL EYE. I was so sure of the diagnosis that I even filled out a prescription for antibiotics.

Then the poor fellow came back with the results. Negative.
Hehehe. So much for clinical eye.

No comments: